Wednesday, February 5, 2014

Magnetic board for toddler fun!


With three littles we somehow acquired a LOT of magnetic toys over the years. Different number and letter sets, dress up dolls, and animals (they are not all in this picture). When we moved I decided we needed a better place to put them all. Unfortunately, they only stick to the side of our stainless steel fridge and that left very little space. We had a perfect little half wall by the stairs to our playroom so I went out searching for just the right thing to fill that space. I found this 2 foot by 3 foot piece of sheet metal at Lowe's for less than $10! Score!




I then just took this piece of sheet metal down the street to our Hobby Lobby who happened to have ready made open back frames half price that week and had them pop this in and add a backing. Really, it was that easy! I just brought it home, added some hangers and stuck it on the wall and the kids were super excited!


I decided to choose a frame that I thought we could use elsewhere in our house once the kids outgrow this stage. I thought it would be functional in a future office or kitchen to hang pictures, invitations, artwork, notes, etc.

Another fun thing I did was copy their Melissa & Doug magnetic dress up sets so the pieces could be used on the board as well.

 
The original set comes with a magnetic "doll" that you can add the clothes to, but the doll itself would not stick to the magnet board so I stuck him on my printer and just made a color copy on cardstock. I then added a small adhesive magnet to the back of the paper and they are now able to play dress up on the board or on the figures.
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment