Friday, May 23, 2014

A little pattern testing for Brownie Goose- The Bay Dress & Top

I was super excited to have the opportunity to test for one of my most favorite pattern designers- Amy of Brownie Goose. I adore all of her patterns so much- head over to her shop and see all the cuteness she has to offer!


I tested the upcoming Bay dress and top in a size 3 for my almost three year old. It was a perfect fit! I chose to use Joel Dewberry Blockprint Blossom in Dandelion and it was a perfect complement to this pattern. I decided to use a soft pink for my lining just to give it a little twist. When doing the curved skirt option on this dress the skirt & bodice are both fully lined. It is a gorgeous dress inside and out! The pattern also includes the option of a straight skirt which can be left unlined if you are trying to conserve fabric. Amy also includes tips for making the skirt a little less full if you are trying to squeeze one out of a smaller amount of fabric.


That back just makes me swoon every time I see it! So sweet- set off by a two button closure for the empire waist version or a 4 button closure if you choose to do a drop waist. The pattern calls for functional buttons but I found I can slip this one on and off without even unbuttoning. So if buttonholes make you sweat then you can certainly give it a go with just stitching the bodice closed and adding your buttons for a decorative touch. I choose to do the empire waist simply because I only had two of these beautiful vintage buttons I found at a local antique mall.


I am so happy Spring has finally arrived here in the NW and can not wait to make some more of these beauties! The great news is that the Bay Pattern starts at a size 18 months and goes all the way up to a size 12! So we fortunately have many Bay summers to look forward to in our future!



After finishing this one up I couldn't help but give the top version a try... for this one I used a sweet white swiss dot with a touch of vintage lace on the flutter sleeves fully lined in a solid white.


I decided to pair it with a green chambray Darby short (another favorite pattern by Brownie Goose) with a touch of lace like the flutters. Such a sweet summer combo that would match so many pieces.



And just because I love this picture of my youngest two just as much as I love this new pattern! <3 <3 <3


The Bay top & dress are sure to make you a happy girl!



4 comments:

  1. Where can I get the patterns for the Bay Dress & Top

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The pattern is available in the Brownie Goose Etsy shop here: http://www.etsy.com/shop/browniegoose

      Delete
  2. If I choose not to make the buttonholes how far would you overlap the back part of the bodice?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry! Just saw your question- If you are able to try it on the child first that is the best way to determine placement. If not, I would overlap until it feels "natural"- so your front/back shoulder straps match up evenly. : )

      Delete