Tuesday, September 1, 2015

Pensacola Beach Petal Top makes its debut!

I stumbled upon a new pattern shop to me this past month- Seaside Notions- I know shocking to think with the 1.2 zillion PDF patterns I own that there are still shops I haven't found yet... but I know there are so many talented designers out there that are just getting started! I saw the tester call for the Pensacola Beach Petal Top in one of the many Facebook sewing groups I am in and was smitten by the gorgeous necklines and that petal skirt!



I started out doing the flutter sleeve option and added a pompom trim to my flutters as well as on the skirt petals. My first go I used this gorgeous lime green bird print by Moda. And now it's time for a confession- I made a little oopsie in the order of construction and had my front petals overlapping the back ones instead of the other way around like the pattern is written. The up-side is I really kind of like the different look that it gives this way- and my mistake helped to ensure that the instructions were crystal clear for you ; )



The pattern has options for 3 different sleeve looks: sleeveless, cap or flutter. I have now finished two of the three and look forward to sewing up the cap sleeve soon too! But we all know that this girl loves a flutter sleeve <3


The pattern ranges in size from 12 months up to 12 years- so you can get many years out of this one!



I love a square neckline in the front but super love how this one scoops down in the back as well! Here is a good view of how the petals look in reverse order from the back in case you were wondering...



So after realizing my mistake, I felt the need to make another top with the petals in proper lapping order. This time I opted for this Joel Dewberry print in these gorgeous colors that remind me of the coming fall. I think this will be precious layered with a denim jacket or plum cardigan as the temps begin to fall- so I went sans-flutter to make layering easier!




A little more about Seaside Notions since this may be a new shop for you too! Her PDFs are wonderfully written with clear illustrations and step by step instructions. Included is a printing guide, fabric & material requirements, a measurement chart and instructions for blending sizes (great for those of us with non-typical sized little ones), oh and the digital pattern pieces are layered so that you can print only the sizes you want/need to print! What more can you ask for???



The back does include both a button-hole and a placket but the instructions are very well written for the placket if you have never done one before don't be scared! The petals have 3 different finishing options- trim, bias trim or just a plain ole hem- something to please us all and give them tons of variety!


I am excited for the release of this new top and can't wait to see what is coming next from Seaside Notions! I leave you with just a "few" more pics of these tops in action!







Hope you have as much fun sewing this one up as I did! 
<3 Susan

No comments:

Post a Comment